Sunday, October 5, 2008

Expanding Lele's language bank!

Though Lele can speak many words, they are all single words and (still) monosyllabic words....I wonder how I can help him attempt double-syllabic words... I guess I really cannot force him to say words beyond his ability. Think I will just continue what I've been doing up till now: *conversing with him, ask him questions for him to answer instead of just talking to him all the time
*Naming everything he points at, to the best of my ability and asking him to say the word after I have named. Sometimes, he will repeat gladly but sometimes he will just ignore. Thankfully, my vocab is still enough for me to name most of the things he point out......................................................................................................
*Encourage reading by reading in front of him. Initially, when he saw me reading my papers, for example, he will grab a book from his reading corner and ask me to read to him, which I will do. Nowadays, when I am sitting on the sofa trying to watch TV, he will grab a book and climb onto the sofa so that I can read to him. As far as possible, I will do so because I enjoy reading with him. He's so interactive! And besides, reading together is much funner than watching telly. By the way, Lele is not v interested in TV cos we dun encourage exposure to TV from such a young age...

Most of the words start with 'b', 'm', 'w', 'y', 'z', 't'. I cannot recall if he had succesfully pronounced other sounds.

Besides expanding Lele's vocab, we also try to expand his sentence structure. We encourage him to say short sentence to express his needs. For example, when he wants either of us to give him something (usually food), he has to say,
"(name of the person he wants to address), yao!"
1 or 2 days ago, I decided to expand his sentence structure to make it more complete. So I taught him ot say, "(name of the person he wants to address), wo yao!"

Actually, I'm not too sure if this way of teaching is correct but I like the idea of him learning to speak in sentences hee hee...

No comments: